Meadowlark was put back into the Walkersville Southern Railroad dinner train consist in September 2017. It had been out of service temporarily pending some repairs to the trucks, but is back in service providing generator power to the dinner train.
Pullman built the Meadowlark and her sister car, the Shorelark, in 1930 for general pool service use. Both cars were assigned to Southern Pacific’s overnight train, the Lark. One car was assigned to the northbound train and the other to the southbound.
The Lark was the “Businessman’s Dream Train” and began service on May 8, 1910, providing service between San Francisco and Los Angeles. In 1941, the Lark became streamlined in a two-tone gray paint scheme, and the Meadowlark and Shorelark were sent back to Pullman.
The Lark train’s last run came on April 7 and 8, 1968, and the next day she was retired, thereby closing a 58-year history.
The Meadowlark and Shorelark were sent to Boston and Maine, and then next Meadowlark was moved to New Haven, CT, and converted in October 1954 to become business car #3 for the New Haven Railroad.
The car was subsequently sold on October 19, 1961, to Willis Barron of Ashland, PA, as a roadside attraction behind his motel where tours were offered for a quarter. In 1982, the car was purchased and moved to Gettysburg, PA, where it had a series of owners until it was finally donated to the Chesapeake Railway Association and moved to Walkersville in 2007. Restoration has been ongoing since the car arrived, and ownership was transferred to the Walkersville Southern Railroad Museum in 2017.